Our History

"We exist temporarily by what we take, we exist forever by what we give." -Will Rogers, Jr.

Founded in 1838 by Rev. Wilhelm Schmidt, Peace offers one of the oldest congregations in central Ohio. The foundation of Peace Lutheran Church is built on Jesus Christ. Past and present members and leaders laid the stones for the foundation of the future. Our first church was located on the banks of the Big Walnut Creek, where the old Lutheran Cemetery is located at Andalus and 62/Mill St.  The simple one-story brick church was used until 1895.

Nothing remains of the original church, as bricks from it were used to build the second Peace Lutheran Church. This second church, designed in the Gothic Revival style, is located at 72 N. High Street in Olde Gahanna and is now known as The Sanctuary.

In 1961, a resolution was passed to build a new church for the expanding congregation. The current property, at the time considered "out in the country," was purchased. Church leaders also had the foresight to assemble enough land for future expansion on our current site.

By December 1963, more than half a million dollars was raised, through the sale of bonds, to build the new church. Our present Peace Lutheran Church was dedicated on April 5, 1964, and has undergone numerous improvements including air conditioning, carillon system, Narthex, Fireside Lounge, kitchen upgrades, and most recently, the contemporary and spacious ConneXions Center. Our growth continues to provide opportunities to expand our horizons and supports the robust ministries of our church within our community.

Peace belongs to the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America)